Wednesday, January 5, 2011

DCUC Hunting Around Town

I've shared my regret concerning my completely missing the release of the first (gulp) fifteen waves of Mattel DC Universe Classic 6" action figures, but I have managed to get my hands on some, such was the case in the past few days. I find some good deals online, but lately I've been venturing out into the wild to hunt down some toys the old fashioned way! And that's really the MOST fun...

*DC Universe Classic Wave 6 "Shazam" (Captain Marvel)! There's an obvious legal reason why the can't use Captain Marvel's proper name on the package, and I'm not going to go into the history of that. But I will say that I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled upon this toy, the ONLY DCUC on the pegs, at a local Target! There is a God... and he loves toys (laughs)!


*DC Universe Classics Wave 13 Donna Troy- let's face it: I'm never gonna get a DCUC Wonder Woman or Batgirl, so Donna will fill the need for some female influence among the (laughs) sausage-fest of a DCUC collection I've got going! On a more serious note, I passed on the sole Donna Troy I've seen a couple weeks ago, and when I returned to my local Wal-Mart later she was still there waiting for a special daddy, so I took her home :)

*DC Universe Classics Wave 9 Black Canary- while on the subject of six inch, plastic women, I was particularly thrilled to find this beauty at a local Target- I had recently stumbled onto a single, lonesome Green Arrow, so now he had reunited with his lover...
*DC Universe Classic Wave Golden Pharaoh! I've noticed the DCUC's at K-Mart are two bucks less than at Wal-Mart, but not all DCUC waves are released in every retail store, some released as exclusive to one or another chain. My Golden Pharaoh had a "K-Mart Exclusive" sticker, but I did see him at Wal-Mart before. I'm glad I waited and saved my two bucks...

*DCUniverseClassics.Com

6 comments:

  1. LOVE Shazam, been looking for his figure for ages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, hunting down toys the old fashion way is always the best way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haul. The good Captain is awesome, and of course Black Canary rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice score! That Golden Pharoah is a nice looking figure.

    Is the reason DC can't use the Captain Marvel name because of the Marvel character of the same name? I think Shazam is a cooler name and probably took more time to come up with than Captain Marvel. Wasn't there a cartoon with Shazam in it. "Shazam! Captain Marvel!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason,
    From Wikipedia:
    "Fawcett ceased publishing Captain Marvel-related comics in 1953, due in part to a copyright infringement suit from DC Comics alleging that Captain Marvel was an illegal infringement of Superman. In 1972, DC licensed the Marvel Family characters and returned them to publication, acquiring all rights to the characters by 1991. DC has since integrated Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family into their DC Universe, and have attempted to revive the property several times. However, Captain Marvel has not regained widespread appeal with new generations, although a Shazam! live-action Saturday morning television series featuring the character ran for three seasons on CBS in the 1970s.
    Because Marvel Comics trademarked their Captain Marvel comic book during the interim between the original Captain Marvel's Fawcett years and DC years, DC Comics is unable to promote and market their Captain Marvel/Marvel Family properties under that name. Since 1972, DC has instead used the trademark Shazam! as the title of their comic books and thus the name under which they market and promote the character. Consequently, Captain Marvel himself is frequently erroneously referred to as Shazam."

    ...Don't ya just love the internet? :D

    ...And yes, there was a cartoon show about this character, and he appeared in Batman:The Brave & The Bold animated show recently as well. There was also a live-action TV show in the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that Captain Marvel action figure! I have yet to see him anywhere. Congrats on picking him up.

    ReplyDelete