Tuesday, August 21, 2012

X-Men Anniversary Issues, 1995


Found these sweeties in the dollar comics bin awhile back- October and November 20th Anniversary issues of Uncanny X-Men and Cable, one of their outstanding features being their four-paneled, richly illustrated, cardstock covers. Really nice! I started reading Uncanny X-Men issues from the 80's & early 90's last fall, and Cable & X-Force issues shortly thereafter. In fact, I have some Uncanny X-Men to catch up on and four Cable graphic novels to read still! I wish I had time to talk about everything I'm reading, but that would be impossible  :D


Uncanny X-Men #325 starts with a friendly Ballgame between X-Men, sees Colossus finding old ally & lover Callisto, and finishes with a subterranean battle to the death between Ororo and Marrow. features Archangel, Beast, Bishop, Cannonball, Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey, Psylocke, Rogue, Storm, Wolverine, Banshee, Jubilee, Gambit, and many others, including Mr. Sinister. I've read way more Uncanny X-Men from the 80's than 90's, a lot of which I've been lucky enough to find for a buck an issue- I love weekend afternoons rifling through the dollar comic bins around town- heavenly! Scott Lobdell wrote the story and the artwork by Joe Madureira is splashy and dramatic. Read an exhausting synopsis of this issue at UncannyXmen.Net. Great stuff!


********************************


Cable #25, "Future Shock" finds Aliya (aka Jenskot) and Cable arriving in the Askani timeline when Cable was a young man fighting Stryfe's armies. Blaquesmith from the future teleports Domino onto the scene, paradoxical confusion ensues! I'm a huge Cable fan since I started reading Rob Liefeld's X-Force just last year for the first time- the whole "man out of time" concept appeals to me greatly. I live for this kinda stuff! Cable and X-Force didn't cross my radar as a teenager, and by '95 I was busy with college- oddly, I'm now 20 times the comic fan I ever was as a kid. Jeph Loeb wrote the story, and Ian Churchill lavishly penciled the issue with Joel Thomas. Read about this issue at Marvel.Wikia.Com.

More Later- Make It FUN!

5 comments:

  1. I always liked Joe Madureira's art. There was a lot of to-do about his "anime influenced" style, but I thought it was a nice step away from the overly crosshatched styles that were more popular at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember buying that issue of Uncanny at the grocery store when I was a kid. The shot of Ororo triumphant above Marrow is an iconic Storm moment to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a mint copy of Uncanny #325 that I got autographed by Stan Lee at one of the three con's I went to in high school. When I handed him the book he unfolded the cover and said "If Jack were here he would love to have cover's on this much space".

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT stuff, FBI! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete