Saturday, August 24, 2019

Marvel Legends Deathlok & Cable


I picked these figures up in March of 2018, not quite a year after getting back into Marvel Legends, and am finally getting around to photographing them, not for lack of enthusiasm regarding, but rather lack of time. While Cable is a longtime favorite character, Deathlok did not disappoint, and I enjoyed him every bit as much.


First appearing in Astonishing Tales #25 in 1974, the Deathlok identity has been employed by several Marvel characters, including a mostly cyborg Steve Rogers in X-Factor #231. And his likeness to British metal band Iron Maiden's mascot Eddie is undeniable! Hasbro revealed recently that Deathlok will be rereleased in his Uncanny X-Force black & gray, but I prefer this classic color scheme. I feel like Deathlok was a greatly underappreciated figure upon his release over a year ago, but is certainly on of the best figures from this Deadpool wave- his sculpt and deco are fantastic, regardless of the character's standing in the Marvel hierarchy.





Below, Deathlok with my Marvel Legends Colossus, a modern version that wasn't favored by a lot of collectors, but I liked very much. I'm unsure these two characters had much crossover in the Marvel Universe, but the figures have a lot of aesthetic similarities I couldn't ignore...


Hasbro certainly captured the Rob Liefeld/'90s aesthetic with this Cable figure- the bulk of his shoulder harness hampers his articulation somewhat, but I feel like this is the classic X-Force version I'd been waiting for. He's armed to the teeth as well! I appreciate the inclusion of a peg for stowing his rifle onto the back of his harness and holster for his shotgun, but an additional left trigger hand would have been nice




Below, Cable with my Marvel Legends Hope Summers- I loved the Messiah War story arc from a few years back! Hasbro was bringing 6" Marvel Legends back around the time they produced this Hope figure, and while I love the sculpt/paint, the articulation leaves a lot to be desired and she doesn't hold her rifle well at all.


Below, Cable and Deathlok with their wave mate, and possibly best Deadpool action figure Hasbro has produced, the 1st Appearance Deadpool- no, he didn't include an arsenal of firearms that we associate with the character, but his articulation, deco, and sculpt are top notch. Recommended!

Be Sure to follow me on the Super-DuperToyBox Instagram!
More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. Great photos. Love the Cable and Hope Summers shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jigsaw- Legends have come a long way since that Hope figure- still, she looks cool

      Delete