Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Mighty Muggs Darth Vader (Hasbro, 2007)



Hasbro's Mighty Muggs series seemed to be tapering off as I got into collecting, but they did get some second looks from me. I recall a few on clearance between 2010 and 2012 I may or may not regret passing on, but my appreciation for vinyls didn't develop until a little later, when Funko got my attention with their POP! Series and Vinyl Invaders Batman. I have a fledgling Darth Vader subcollection that needed a unique member such as this, and the price wasn't much above the retail price shipped, so I went for it. Check out the video:


He suffered mildly from the issues I'd read about, namely his unwieldy cape and easily spilled helmet, but he's a looker and will stay put on a shelf to admire, purpose served. Whether you go for this kind of thing or not, Hasbro did deliver a vinyl a fraction of the price U.S. collectors pay for Japanese imports. Some of these go for three to five times the original $10.00 at retail on the secondary market. I'd been on the lookout for a Marvel Series Vision at a good price, but wasn't disappointed in finding the Series One Darth Vader.

More Later- Make It FUN!

4 comments:

  1. My wife and I loved Mighty Muggs! We have around 20 or so and still have them on top of the game shelf in our living room (although my little one has claimed Bossk and Boba Fett for her bedroom). We have the Vader that has a removable right hand and Anakin's face on the other side: Spin the head around and remove the helmet and hand and you have a redeemed Anakin!

    Mighty Muggs was a great concept that I think failed because they just didn't have enough licenses. Funko POP! gets crazy licenses but Mighty Muggs only ever got Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up with a box of "played with" Star Wars ones a couple of years ago. Most have since moved on, but I kept Darth Vader... he's just too distinctive not to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, he stood out to me as the "if I could only choose one" type! Thanks for reading, Paul!

      Delete