Monday, September 28, 2020

Masters of the WWE Roman Reigns


While I'm not a follower of the WWE, I had been looking more closely at Mattel's Masters of the WWE line since realizing their articulation and construction are the same as the new MOTU Origins figures. I wasn't really even aware of Roman Reigns prior to seeing him in this first wave, frankly, but thought he would fit right in with my MOTU Origins.


Roman's oversized gauntlet is obviously a mash-up with Masters of the Universe character Fisto, and his chest armor and shield look right out of the MOTU aesthetic. Mattel did a fantastic job on his tattooed left arm! I love the all-black outfit, which has some great sculpt detail on the boot laces and on the figure's back. The facial portrait has a little more realistic look than the MOTU Origins characters, but they really kept the Masters of the Universe spirit in this figure especially.



Like the MOTU Origins figures, the Masters of the WWE figures come with a short mini-comic very much in the spirit of the original Masters of the Universe figures. Those first mini-comics illustrated by Alfred Alcala were much longer however, including a narrative and multiple pages of illustrated action that set my imagination alight.


Below, Roman battles my new MOTU Origins Skeletor ...!


I'm unsure how more of these Masters of the WWE figures I'd buy, but if you are into the MOTU Origins line, Roman Reigns plainly fits right into that. His fantasy-based accessories and chest armor blend well into the Masters of the Universe sword-and-sorcery vibe. Recommended!

More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. I'm amazed at how deep Mattel is going with the MOTWWEU line! We're getting another ring soon, series 4 is just starting to ship, and series 5 has already been announced. I like WWE but I love MOTU and pick up nearly everything MOTU, so these are a real treat. They're really fun toys, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I'm late to the game on these, but have only seen Wave 2 everywhere I go around here- can't wait for that Mr. T!

      Delete