Friday, October 12, 2018

DC Multiverse Zero Year Batman


I scored this DC Multiverse Zero Year Batman off eBay this past summer at a greatly discounted price, curious about some of the Mattel figures that have passed me by the last couple years. I really enjoyed Batman: Zero Year back in 2013, and it's hard to believe how fast the last five years have flown past! A funny aside regarding this action figure: I have the DC Collectibles version of this Batman (pictured to the right), a gift from Kevin Kiniry after receiving an Earth 2 Hawkgirl with two left hands. It has more accessories than the Mattel Batman and a more Capullo-inspired portrait, as expected, but I was a big fan of the DCUC line, for which this figure's styling pays tribute. Mattel can't seem to compete with Hasbro in the 6" scale these days, their Marvel Legends line continuing to surpass in articulation and aesthetic, but I like this Batman well enough.



Mattel never really got back to a generous accessory count with it's 6" figures, but we did get a grapple gun, which though somewhat flimsy does fit neatly into it's holster strapped to Batman's thigh. Their failure to include just a couple batarangs may have stalled my retail purchase a couple years ago and cost them a sale ultimately, a far heftier price than a two slivers of plastic.



No development in range articulation from DC Universe Classics to the Multiverse line, but the hips on this particular figure has changed from the more typical, gappy DCUC joint that irked some action figure collectors a decade ago. Mattel has covered the pins at the elbows and knees, but I may have preferred double hinges there instead, or a hinged neck and ankle rockers. That said, if you are a fan of DC Universe Classics, this will likely do it for you- it does for me in some regard. I would have loved this figure as a kid, and I do really like the clean paint and sculpt details throughout. It's a cool Batman.


Below, Zero Year Batman with Mattel's more recent, and somewhat smaller DC Multiverse Rebirth Batman, both sporting a flash of purple in their outfits.  Zero Year Batman's purple gloves are an homage to the vigilante's first appearance in Detective Comics #27 from 1939, writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo's redefining Batman's origins post-New 52 relaunch. Though I didn't keep up with DC into 2016, consequently missing DC Rebirth, I'm unsure how I feel about DC Comics constant need to upend continuity only a few years after New 52. Regardless, Mattel's DC Universe Classics really got me into 6" action figures shortly after starting this blog eight years ago, and I have a soft spot for that style- especially in a Batman figure.

More Later- Make It FUN!


No comments:

Post a Comment