Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Captain Marvel Pinup, 1978


As I just posted about the new Marvel Legends Captain Marvel, and we are nearing the release of the new Captain Marvel film, I thought I'd share this great Captain Marvel pinup I found on eBay recently. Featuring Captain Marvel #29 cover art by Jim Starlin (1973), the image measures 9.5 x 14". According to L.Lee Hymn of Tellshiar.Com, this pinup came from The Mighty World of Marvel Pin-up Book, published by Fireside in 1978 for $5.95 retail. On the verso of the poster is a description of Marvel team The Defenders, who would have been featured on the next page. Art by other Bronze-Age greats like John Romita, Herb Trimpe, Dave Cockrum, John Buscema, Gil Kane, Gene Colan, Jack Kirby and others were also featured. Hymn went on to tell me the book can sell for $150.-$300, individual plates going for $25.-$75. His website is a treasure trove of Marvel ephemera that is a must see! This image of Captain Marvel is an early if somewhat hazy memory from my first experiences with comic books, and a joy to frame for display in my home.

More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment