Thursday, December 5, 2019

DC Collectibles New 52 Green Lantern Simon Baz


When this figure dropped in May of 2013, I was unfamiliar with his recently revealed backstory, a character born out of DC's New 52 relaunch. I was busy with other monthly titles at the time, including some of the Marvel NOW! titles- a fantastic time! I did buy the Green Arrow and Martian Manhunter that DC Collectibles released that year in this series, and had a substantial collection of Lanterns from across the spectrum at that time. I've had a renewed interest in the figures I collected in the first part of the decade, and have doubled back to pick up a few I passed on at the time.



Simon has a checkered past, driven to a desperate situation under pressure of poverty, but does the right thing when mistakenly chosen by a malfunctioning power ring. The character has received criticism for it's platitudinous characterization, and his use of a handgun merely a tool of controversy. Fair enough.  Eventually Batman calls Simon out on the mat regarding his sidearm, which the hero drops during the 2016 Rebirth relaunch of the DC Universe.



Below, Simon Baz with my other DC Collectibles/DC Direct Green Lanterns: 


Below, Green Lantern Simon Baz with Justice League of America teammates, DC Collectibles New 52 Martian Manhunter and Hawkman. I'm currently reading the first couple books of the New 52 relaunch of Justice League of America Vol.3- there's less regarding Simon in these, but he is welcomed to the team, and fights in Trinity War that runs through the middle of them. I had been reading New 52 Green Lantern Vol.5 just a year or so prior in 2011, invigorated by Sinestro's return as a Green Lantern, and fresh off reading Blackest Night, cementing my Green Lantern fandom. Maybe another GL in a growing line of others just couldn't keep my attention, maybe I'd just moved on to other reading, maybe it was the gun or overworked social message... I don't fully recall. Regardless, I like the figure aesthetically, DC Collectibles' execution was spot on.

More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. I'm a Green Lantern fan but my comic book reading fell off for quite a long time. I'm just now starting to get to the Geoff Johns tea. Way behind I know. This guy is new to me but look forward to finding out more as I catch up. Good post and figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man- really got into that Jeff Johns stuff, Rebirth, Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War...then Flashpoint for cryin' out loud! I was then fully primed for Green Lantern Vol. 5, the New 52 relaunch which took me over the edge when Sinestro became a Green Lantern again. Nerdgasm! Alas, I kinda dropped off buying monthly issues, quickly inundated by several boxes of books within just a few short years of fevered reading pace. I started reading more online, but still pick up a few books a year, often trade paperbacks with entire story arcs. Easier to deal with and less costly than single issues.

      Delete