Thursday, September 3, 2020

Mattel Retro-Action Shazam


While I collected most of Mattel's 8" DC Retro-Action figure line that was launched a decade ago, Shazam was one I didn't have. I'd had my eye on him for awhile, disappointed by the recently revived Mego's failure to deliver on the14" Shazam solicited last year. There was a Black Adam also released by Mattel, and solicited along with the Mego 14" Shazam, ironically. Regardless, as a fan of Mego's World's Greatest Superheroes line in the '70s, I was drawn by nostalgia into Mattel's Retro-Action line in 2010, and this used sample scratched that itch again.


The first couple waves of these Retro-Action figures had unstable hip issues, but Shazam doesn't suffer from this and stands easily on his own. He has mostly solid uniform appointments, this used figures shiny cuffs a little worn at the extremities from age. The face portrait is stylistically in line with the rest of the series, and a great representation of the character. Figures Toy Company went on to release at least a couple reissues based on the original Mego Shazam, along with a ton of other DC characters, but Mattel made a valiant effort with their reimagined line of 8" Mego-like figures.


Below, Mattel 8" Retro-Action Shazam with Mattel 6" DC Universe Classics Shazam. Mattel also released a 6" Shazam figure for the 2019 film starring Zachary Levi, which I still haven't seen. I came to know the character as a child watching the Filmation live action TV show, which ran from 1974 to 1977 on CBS. Mego released an 8" Shazam during this period, but I'm unsure if I had him or not.




Above, Shazam with one of the first Mattel Retro-Action figures I got, Superman. The crooked chest insignia hasn't aged well, but this figure was integral to the genesis of this blog, and signaled my return to reading comics more as an adult. Below, Shazam with a few other Retro-Action figures I collected shortly after picking up Superman: Aquaman and Black Manta, Lex Luthor, and Flash and Captain Cold! See all these and more together in my April 2011 post, Retro-Action Retrospective!

More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. As a kid in the mid 80s I remember moving into a house with an enclosed porch. The we moved in the porch was completely empty except for a few vintage mego figures that had been left behind by the previous owner I can only assume. I hated them and foolishly tossed them out. I think Green Arrow was in there along with Spider-man and a few others. Had I known...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooOOoo damn! As a child of the '70s, I was raised on Mego, though graduated to Star Wars, He-Man, & G.I. Joe when the '80s came around.

      Delete