Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Marvel Legends Spider-Man & Spinneret (60th Anniv.)


The Marvel Legends Spider-Man 60th Anniversary releases are kicking off Hasbro's plastic-free action figure box initiative, and I found this Spider-Man/Spinneret 2-pk at Target last weekend. There's some controversy about this, but my sample seemed too fresh for a scalper to have switched contents and returned the item. I was never exclusively a mint on card collector, but I will miss the ability to scrutinize an action figure's quality before purchasing. I have not read the Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows story, but I liked what the box photography claimed them to be, so I took a chance. And at the somewhat exorbitant price of $52.99, you feel a little more is at stake- I was able to shave $2.65 off that using my Target debit card, but Mervel Legends have sharply increased in price.



Complaints aside, this is surely the best classic Spider-Man we have seen in the Marvel Legends line, upgraded to pin-less joints, three sets of hands, and a Peter Parker head. To their credit, the Marvel Legends team over at Hasbro has delivered recently a lot of what fans have asked for the last many years, and subsequently the price has raised. Hasbro should have put a half-masked Peter Parker head in there like the one that came with Pizza Spidey for that price, but this is a solid figure.
 

Below, my Marvel 80th Anniversary Hulk with my Spider-Man 60th Anniversary Spider-Man. These two were childhood favorites of mine in the '70s and the subjects of some of my very first comic books I got my hands on. In terms of Marvel Legends' 20 year history, this is by far the best we've seen.

I still have the entire first wave of the 2020 Marvel Legends Spider-Man Retro Card series on card, including the Spider-Man this 60th Anniversary version is based on. The 60th Anniversary Spidey takes the win for his pin-less joints, but I do like the smaller old-school eyes included on the Retro Card Spidey.

I wasn't familiar with Mary Jane Watson as Spinneret, buying into this figure based on the merits of her design and great masked head sculpt. There are still improvements to be made on the majority of Marvel Legends female abdomens, but dome deep elbow and knee joints and ball hinge neck give her lots of range. The female Legends I've picked up recently have been phenomenal- a marked improvement over what we have seen before.




Spinneret with my Marvel Legends Spider-Gwen and Ashley Barton Spider-Woman...


We have seen this Peter-Parker head before, but the Mary Jane unmasked 
sculpt is something new- they both look good and are nice to have...


Below, Spider-Man & Spinneret with my Marvel Legends Spider-Man 60th Anniversary Iron Spider. I knew I would probably pick up some Spider-Man 60th Anniversary series figures, the Iron Spider being one I was interested in. Having these really makes me want the new Amazing Fantasy Spider-Man from this series!



I thought the retail price for this 2-pk was inflated, and I don't like not being able to see the figure through a window before buying- it will likely result in less purchases long-term, but these are some fantastic figures, both in look and articulation. They are still far lower in price than imports and have most the extra parts I care to juggle personally. Recommended!

More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. Great looking figures. I wasn't familiar with Spinneret until this figure came out. I will grab a new Spidey for the grandsons but won't seek these out. But again they look really good. I'm not as freaked out about the price. That comes to $26 per figure which is a bump from regular figures on the shelve but only by like $4 each. I get that is a increase noone wants but assumed it was due to something special about the figures other than looking cool. I'm not seeing it though. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanx 4 reading Bulldog! These are completely pin-less joints on these, so that's kinda special- we have seen this in some figures from the last two years. Marvel Legends 2-pks have already been hovering around $50. for some time now

      Delete