Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DC Direct 13" Deluxe Collector Classic Superman


At the end of last year I bought some really cool 1:6 scale dollies action figures that I've only shown a peek of here on Super-DuperToyBox, and since I posted about my 6" Mattel DCUC Superman yesterday, I'll keep it going with another Superman- my 13" DC Direct Classic Superman.

Super-DuperToyBox really started with a 15" 1978 Kenner Darth Vader I scored on E-Bay, followed by a slew of Hasbro & ToyBiz action figures with cloth outfits. While I had my eye on this guy several months ago, it wasn't until this past December that I ran across a deal I couldn't refuse- this guy up for auction at $39.95. I remembered the sting of losing him in an auction before at twice that, but no one seemed to be paying attention in the holiday melee, so I won him along with a bitchin' DC Direct 1:6 Batman in one fell swoop! Both with combined shipping totaled $119.30, probably one of the best deals I ever landed (happy-dance).

Superman came in a nice windowpane box with collapsed display stand and one extra set of hands:






















DC Direct produced another, very similarly styled version of this guy that you can change into Clark Kent, but I like the face on this one better, the aforementioned sporting a more "Golden Age" visage. Both the suit and boots zip up in back, though I didn't feel the need to strip him down. His spandex suit fits his body perfectly, the classic "S" insignia in vinyl neatly sealed in position over his chest. The plastic belt clasps in front beneath the buckle, looped through his shorts, which are actually a separate piece. The zippered boots are vinyl with plastic, heeled soles- very tailored looking! On the back of his luxurious cape, is another, all yellow "S" insignia in vinyl.






















Retailing for around $100.00 when released in March of 2007, I felt lucky to get this beautiful doll at such a great price. Some of these dolls go for a much higher price on the secondary market now, which I find a little unreasonable for what you are getting.Truth be told, $100.00 seems a little high in my humble opinion- while my tolerance for what I will spend on a toy has increased since I started collecting, I still possess a certain, if flexible threshold I won't cross. I may be compulsive, but I'm also an educated consumer. DC Direct produced twenty-three of these 1:6 scale dolls between June 2005 & August 2008, and while simple compared to a Medicom or Hot Toys 1:6 doll, I think they are just beautiful! After getting my first 1:6 DC Direct doll last October, I knew I would end up getting another.




My parents gave me a 12" Mego Superman back in 1979 which I loved dearly- having this DC Direct is like reliving the joy of that toy all over again! Not long after I got this, Matty Collector released a 12" Christopher Reeve Movie Masters Superman that I (laughs) bought as well! As I've said before, when the 1978 Superman motion picture came out my life was forever changed... I may be a huge Batman fan, but I've always had a great affection for the Man of Steel.


"Sent to Earth by his parents Jor-El and Lara to save him from his doomed planet, Krypton, young Kal-El has grown from a shy Kansas farmboy raised by Jonathan and Martha Kent into the Earth's greatest hero, Superman. Using his powers such as super strength, flight, and heat vision, Superman fights for Truth and Justice while maintaining the guise of Clark Kent, a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet."


*12" Mego Superman I had as a child at the online Mego Museum!

5 comments:

  1. glad it went to someone who will treasure it. It's an excellent figure!

    lazarus lupin
    http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
    art and review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like his boots for some reason...They are really nice looking lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they have a nice leathery texture- the cool, red zipper on the back really makes it

    ReplyDelete