Monday, February 21, 2011

DC Direct 13" Deluxe Collector Batman


At the end of last year I bought some really cool 1:6 scale dollies action figures. Before I went nuts for the smaller DC Directs & Mattel DCUCs, Super-DuperToyBox began with a 15" 1978 Kenner Darth Vader I scored on E-Bay, followed by a slew of Hasbro & ToyBiz action figures with cloth outfits. While I had my eye on this guy several months ago, it wasn't until this past December that I ran across a deal I couldn't refuse- this guy up for auction at $59.95. I won him along with a DC Direct 13" Superman, both with combined shipping totaled $119.30, one of the best deals I ever landed. Finding this guy under a hundred bucks can be a challenge, and the "Silver-Age"/Classic blue 1:6 Batman by DC Direct goes for $200.00 on a regular basis.

Batman came in a nice windowpane box with collapsed display stand, one extra set of hands, and four different batarangs:



















As I said, DC Direct produced another, Classic styled version of this guy in blue, and a Justice version based on the Alex Ross design was released quite recently as well. Both the suit and boots zip up in back, though I didn't feel the need to strip him down. Batman's belt fastens with a peg in back- the last storage compartment on the belt has the hole for this adjoining peg, and was unfortunately not glued to the end well enough to endure the stress of being fastened & unfastened. I remedied this with some epoxy after clumsily popping it loose almost immediately.





















The zippered boots are vinyl with "waffle-stomper" soles- very tailored looking! Made from the same material as his boots, Batman's huge, scalloped cape looks leathery & badass! DC Direct produced twenty-three of these 1:6 scale dolls between June 2005 & August 2008, and while simple compared to a Medicom or Hot Toys 1:6 doll, I think they are just beautiful! They are definitely the most extravagant toys I have, and I just love them. After getting my first 1:6 DC Direct doll last October, I knew I would end up getting another!




I've been a huge Batman for as long as I can remember- seems to me this is the case with most all action figure/toy collectors I've known. The mythic, noir essence of the character is irresistible to people of all ages. My first Batman action figure was an 8" Mego, and I also had a larger Mego Magnetic Batman & Robin as a child- while both very cool, nothing as detailed as this DC Direct existed back then... we truly live in the most exciting times to be collecting toys.


Witnessing his parents' murder forever changed young Bruce Wayne. Vowing to avenge their deaths, he spent years honing mind & body to peak performance. Armed with wits, fighting skills, and fantastic gadget, he protects the people of Gotham City from evildoers as the Batman.


*DC Direct's 1:6 Scale collection at JoeAcevedo.Com!

10 comments:

  1. Holy Mego Doll Batman! This looks too awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL Batman figure :) Congrats! I was eyeing this line but at 13" tall, they are too tall to stand with all my other 12" figures, so I had to give this entire line a miss. Glad that you're picking them up coz now I get to see them in your posts. Keep on posting and having FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, their HUGE! ...technically, a little bigger than 1:6

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! That figure is terrific. Like you I loved those old Megoes with those cloth outfits. We do live in a golden age. You would never see such quality figures in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a superb figure. Very nicely detailed and just well-cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this entire line and i love them ! I also collect hot toys and yes , there is no comparison but that doesn't change the fact that these display very well !

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey g-phunk- welcome to the ToyBox & Blogger! Get your blog on & join us here- i'd LOVE to see your collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In actually installing a new shelving unit in my man cave to display all of them ! I've only been collecting 1/6 figures about a year and a half now. I only have about 50 figures . I know that's small compared to most collections online ! I do wanna post a video or pictures once my shelves are finished ! Thanks for the welcome !

    ReplyDelete
  9. 50??! Holy Toledo! You could make quite the blog outta that collection, g! holla!

    ReplyDelete