Saturday, November 17, 2018

Marvel Legends Magik


Illyana Rasputin is the younger sibling of mutant X-Man Colossus, Piotr Rasputin- my familiarity with the character doesn't go far beyond that, but there's no denying the cool factor of this action figure. Magik has the ability to teleport and block telepaths with psionic shields, but is better known for her sorcery. A Walgreen's exclusive, she's been difficult to track down, having seen her myself in only a couple locations among several within my immediate ten mile radius and no indication of her availability through their website. I bought one and left the others for the other kids like a good nerd- if you can find her, she's a visual delight, packed with accessories!



Illyana comes with two magnificent swords and multiple magic effects accessories to bring them to life- not sure which of these is meant to represent her famed Soulsword, but I'd guess it's the smaller katana. The larger, oversized battle sword matches her aesthetic more closely, but they are both pretty cool, molded from translucent plastic.


The accessories hardly stop at the swords and magic effects, a small dragon and flaming skull round out the package, making Illyana one of the most packed Legends offering I can remember in recent history. Sure, the dragon is a repaint from Kitty Pride's Lockheed accessory, and the skull from Ghost Rider, but it's still lots of fun!


In anticipation of finding Magik, I'd procured a loose Nico Minoru from the 2016 Marvel Legends Dr. Strange Wave off eBay at a substantial discount, recognizing she'd pair well with the former. I often buy figures that may not be directly related per se, but complement one another in spirit and/or aesthetic. In addition to their translucent accessories and dark clothing, they share the same boots and a goth quality that unite them visually.


Nico Minoru first appeared in 2003 in Runaways, daughter of dark wizards she escapes from to become a superhero, later joining Marvel's first all-female supergroup, A-Force. A sorceress like Magik, Nico's Staff of One grotesquely emerges from her body when she bleeds, but her extra arm accessory interests me more, made of translucent magenta plastic. I can find no mention of this on the internet, and while not molded to specifically fit the magic accessory that wraps around her staff, I was able to carefully balance it around her magic arm.



I don't care much for Nico's staff, so she has inherited Illyana's extra sword so
 they can battle side by side against the forces of evil magic and sorcery!



Above: Marvel Legends Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel with Nico Minoru.
Below: Marvel Legends Valkyrie and Angela with Magik.


More Later- Make It FUN!

3 comments:

  1. I'm still looking for Magik. She's been a tough one to find. I'm not terribly familiar with the character, either, but I love the design and the generous amount of cool, translucent accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Distribution got off to a rough start with this action figure, you'll bump into her eventually

      Delete
  2. The large sword is her soulsword but I also picked her up and she's one of my favorite legends of recent

    ReplyDelete