Monday, December 31, 2012

Recent Finds In the Dollar Bins and Beyond!



Had a nice comics hunt on Sunday, finding some fun stuff in the dollar bins, and a couple other things that piqued my interest...

*Marvel Super Action #16, 19, 31
These are reprints of earlier Avengers stories, released in 1979, 1980, & 1981 respectively- see the series origin at this link. They looked splashy and fun, and only a buck- impulse buy...


*The Avengers #211 & Avengers West Coast Annual #4
The Avengers issue I picked up only because it looked like a pivotal moment in the title, and it had a lot of cool characters on the cover, including Dr. Henry Pym as Yellowjacket! The Avengers West Coast Annual I picked up because of all the great female characters on the cover, including X-Factor era Jean Grey/Marvel Girl and She-Hulk, and I already have the X-Factor "Atlantis Attacks" annual. 64 pages for a buck- half the the 1989 price, kids!





















*Amalgam Comics Iron Lantern #1  & Super Soldier #1
From Wikipedia:
"Amalgam Comics was a publishing imprint shared by DC Comics and Marvel Comics, in which the two comic book publishers merged their characters into new ones. On two separate occasions, Marvel and DC co-published titles from Amalgam Comics. During the publication of Amalgam Comics, the companies treated it as if it had existed for decades, giving it a fictional history stretching back to the Golden Age of Comics, as well as retcons and reboots, such as the Secret Crisis of the Infinity Hour (an amalgam of Secret Wars, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinity Gauntlet and Zero Hour). The books even went so far as to have letter pages with readers talking about stories they had read for years from the company line. In the 24 Amalgam Comics printed, one-third of those printed included letter-columns by fictitious fans to give a larger background to the stories and to help give hints of what might happen in the next issue. The "fans'" hometowns were usually fusions of existing American cities."
This looked far-out, and the idea of  a Green Lantern Iron Man is just great! This is new to me and looks interesting and fun...


*Giant-Size X-Statix #1
I can't say enough good things about Milligan & Allred's 2001-2002 run on X-Force. The team turned into "X-Statix" afterward, none of which I've read. At only 30 pages thick, I'm unsure if the "Giant-Size" is supposed to be as sarcastic as the characters within, but for a dollar I could not say no. And for myself, 30 pages of Mike Allred's art is as good as 60 pages of a lot of other artist's work out there... I love it that much.


*Marvel-Super-Heroes 1990 Summer Special #2 &  Marvel Comics Annual #1 Spider-Man 2099
According to Wikipedia, Marvel Super-Heroes vol. 2 (May 1990 - Oct. 1993) published quarterly for 15 issues, and generally printed "inventory stories", those assigned to serve as emergency filler. I know the purpose of these, but I love a big 80 page blockbuster for a buck don't you? I love Spider-Man 2099, too, and for that matter, any thick annual I can grab for a dollar. I thoroughly enjoyed the Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1 trade paperback I read last year, so this is a treat!


 *The Mighty Thor Vol.2 TPB & Capt. America # Namor #635.1
I love John Romita Jr.'s style, and according to what I've read, he and writer Dan Jurgens reinvigorated the needy title during the 90's. I grabbed this used for $9.99, less than half the price- I also found Vol. 1 & 4 for a steal on Amazon recently. Really excited! Also excited about finding the final issue I'd been looking for in writer Cullen Bunn's Capt. America team-ups with Hawkeye, Black Widow, Iron Man, and this #365.1 with Namor. Fun!



















Happy New Year -Make It FUN!

6 comments:

  1. Love the old Avengers and Amalgam comics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amalgam was a TON of fun and definitely highly recommended by me. Spider-Boy was another really fun Amalgam comic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pick ups. I think I still the first Spider-Man 2099 somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. That Spiderman 2099 really brings back sweet memories for me. I remembered I picked up every single #1 issue under the 2099 banner (Spidey, Punisher, Doom eg) way back in '92. I think I still have them safely tucked somewhere in one of my comic boxes... =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those Avengers covers! All those comics at those prices you can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked X-men 2099 and Doom 2099...but Ravage 2099 stunk up the room. I am glad you found Amalgam. Dark Claw was my favorite...the combination of Logan/Batman fighting the Joker/Sabertooth hybrid was inspired.

    You need to do a post with your art. I want to do a post just on that on my site after I saw a couple of you peices I posted during 2012.

    ReplyDelete