Sunday, October 25, 2020

Nickelodeon TMNT


I remember admiring this Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line that ran from 2012 - 2017, but was never a collector of the franchise. I didn't have any Ninja Turtles in the '80s, and so while I like the characters & idea, I have no deep nostalgia. That said, I've wanted at least a set of the four to complement my collection, so when I saw these at Five Below at a heavily discounted price, I impulsively scooped them up. As you can see in the cross sell sheet below, this was a major launch to back the Nickelodeon CGI animated show at the time, with a ton of figures, playsets, vehicles, and role play toys...



I love that their colors, height, and detail vary, and while the range of articulation is somewhat limited, there is enough there for me to have fun. In the spirit of the original toys, each figure included a punch-out weapons rack to arm Donatello, Michelangelo, Leonardo, and Raphael well....


My own custom urban diorama seemed like an appropriate setting for these shellbacks:



All the references I've seen on these credit them as a Playmates toys product, though I see no reference to them anywhere on the packaging. Instead, Giochi Preziosi, an Italian toy company that has more recently produced toys for the PJ Masks, Ben 10, and Power Players- all properties also listed on Playmates' website. I'm unsure if these were distributed by Giochi Preziosi for the Italian market, or if they manufactured them- the former seems more likely.




My MOTU Origins Beastman would make a perfect nemesis for the Ninja Turtles!


... looks like a Beastman Beatdown is underway!


Below, Michelangelo with my Marvel Legends Fantastic Four Ben Grimm...


Lots of new NECA TMNT figures have come out recently at a higher price point, but these four Playmates Nina Turtles seemed more my speed. Visit the Turtlepedia online database for all things TMNT!

More Later- Make It FUN!

3 comments:

  1. I remember seeing these at five below but wasn't sure if they'd have all four of them there. Congrats on the pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently saw these Turtles at Five Below and it was all I could do to not buy them (again). This line was one of my favorite reboots. Doesn't top the originals, but still fun none the less.

    ReplyDelete