Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Funko Primal Age Batcave Playset


After preordering the new Masters of the Universe Origins Castle Grayskull recently, lamenting it's distant shipping date, I stumbled upon the Funko Primal Age Batcave Playset at a great price on Amazon. I liked the aesthetic of this series when announced a couple years ago, a mash-up of He-Man styled figures and DC characters based on a '70s concept by writer Marv Wolfman that was revived in 2019. 


Constructed much in the spirit of the 1982 Mattel Castle Grayskull, clasped at the side to double as a carrying case. Like that toys, the Funko Batcave comes with a flag/banner, extra weapons, training dummy, throne, as well as a crystal ball and creature skeleton that doubles as a ladder to the playset's second floor. The box art is fantastic, with cross sell illustrations of the figures and beasts also available in the Primal Age line- I'm quite tempted now. the thing came fully assembled with the accessories bagged, sitting atop. The airbrushed facade recalls Mattel's old Grayskull aesthetic directly, translucent blue torches at the top and bottom adding a level of detail to set it apart. A fantastic piece measuring 21 x 15 x 10".


Below, the Batcave's verso, showing the circular back window and tiny lizard detail...


What I really bought this for is my MOTU Origins figures, specifically as a castle for Skeletor, for which the overall bat-related motif goes with perfectly. I'm sure I'm not the only collector adopting this Batcave for my MOTU figures, and noticed the asking price going up on the secondary market- it seems not long ago, people were buying these on clearance for $25.00 or less, about what I paid after cashing in some Amazon points.


My new MOTU origins figures fit right into the Batcave like it was designed for them, accessories and all! This could as easily be designed a lair for Skeletor and all his baddies- a gang I plan on filling out more as soon as we see the second Origins wave here in the Midwest.


Below, MOTU Origins Evil-Lyn looks into the crystal ball to spy on He-Man and his friends...


Below, MOTU Origins Beastman lock up He-Man, Man-At-Arms, and Teela ...


MOTU figures can hold most the weapons accessories, the sword a little clumsily due to it's wide handle. They add to the interior nicely, clipped onto the interior wall. Again, the bat symbol on the door banner doesn't disturb the MOTU aesthetic whatsoever. One of the best crossover toys I've experienced.

+

If like myself, you are collecting Masters of the Universe, particularly the new origins line, or have some of the recent Super 7 MOTU Classic reissues, you cannot go wrong picking this up. I paid almost $75.00 for the new Origins Grayskull preorder, so this felt like a real score and it was. I will enjoy photographing future MOTU Origins figures with it, and can stow them inside to save space. Recommended!

More Later- Make It FUN!

4 comments:

  1. Now that is a cool playset. Shows what the interior of the vintage Snake Mountain playset should have looked like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... I never had Snake Mountain, but I'm happy with the Batcave... especially for $25.00. Thank 4 reading, WFTA!

      Delete
  2. Dang, that's pretty cool. It goes great with the Origins figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool indeed. I'm not of a fan of Funko's figures due to their sub-par quality, but I really like the look of this playset. Can't wait to see additional photos.

    ReplyDelete