Wednesday, November 4, 2020

DC Collectibles Worlds Finest Huntress & Power Girl


I picked up this DC Collectibles Worlds Finest Huntress & Power Girl 2-pk eleven months ago, circling back for some of the DC Collectibles and DC Direct figures I'd missed in years past. These two had a real connection for me as I was reading World's Finest in 2012, part of DC Comics' second wave of New 52 books after their 2011 relaunch. I dipped my toe into a few of New 52 titles, this one of interest to me due to it's Earth 2 ties. I read all of the first volume, but moved onto other monthly titles after about the 8th issue, circling back to pick up an annual that crossed storylines with Earth 2.


While Power Girl's outfit didn't get the same treatment as in Vol. 1 of World's Finest, these are two beautiful figures, representative of the classic versions of the characters. They also have serious engineering issues that limit posing, and in Huntress' case, completely fail. The right knee joint on the aforementioned figure just came completely undone. I did manage to cobble it back together for a photo shoot, limited with the additional issue of the stuck joint at her right shoulder/bicep. As unfortunate as this was, reports of QC issues upon the release this 2-pk were well known, and I knew what I was getting into. I didn't pay a fortune thankfully, and was happy with the photos. I actually prefer DC Direct/DC Collectibles earlier figures with a little less articulation- these later first attempts to add articulation were a mixed bag with little improvement on posability. Power Girl has issues simply standing due to lack of a solid, flat footprint and weak ankles. There's seemingly little in the way of a good stance for her, as though her ankles aren't at the correct angle.





Complaints aside, I do love the aesthetic of these figures. I like the segmented armor on the gauntlets and boots, a unifying element on a lot of the New 52 character designs. A lot of fans didn't like the updates to their favorite DC heroes during this period, but I did. DC Collectibles changed their name back to DC Direct before folding recently, and their QC issues may have contributed, but I'm sure an oversaturated action figure market came into play. I hunted down several I missed in the past, and have been happy overall with their clean paint apps and design. I expect less articulation with DC Direct/DC Collectibles, and would have given this pair higher marks if Huntress' leg had not come apart at the knee. I can't recommend them because of poor engineering, but they sure look beautiful.




And finally, Huntress and Power Girl with my DC Collectibles Earth 2 Hawkgirl and Katana ...

More Later- Make It FUN!

3 comments:

  1. I miss DC Collectibles/ DC Direct, but they were definitely very hit or miss in terms of quality control and if the product they revealed would actually be released. They definitely did some great stuff, though. When they succeeded they truly succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely good looking figures though it stinks about your issues. I also enjoyed the earlier figures with less articulation. It seems like those who do are in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...well Bulldog, when I was buying a DC Direct, I knew what I was into regarding lack of articulation. I was usually buying it for looks, which DC Direct did well with- if I wanted articulation, I bought Mattel or something else. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete