Saturday, November 7, 2020

DC Collectibles Stargirl


Like the figures in my last post, I picked up this DC Collectibles New 52 Star Girl eleven months ago, circling back for some of the DC Collectibles and DC Direct figures I'd missed in years past. I was less familiar with the character, but thought she was a beautiful figure. Star Girl was created by writer Geoff Johns as a tribute to his sister Courtney, a victim of the TWA Flight 800 crash. I read more about her recently in the regrettably inflated Brightest Day books, which at points seemed directionless. Too long! Regardless, I liked Courtney Whitmore as a character, the stepdaughter of the original Star-Spangled Kid who is given Starman's cosmic staff upon joining the Justice Society, becoming Stargirl.

DC Collectibles was adding more articulation to their figures when Star Girl was released, so she has swivels in her ankles, wrists and biceps, and ball-joint hips. These new points of articulation did make her a little more poseable, but only a little. That said, I was always a fan of DC Direct's paint and sculpt detail, as well as their comic art-specific aesthetic. This is a fantastic figure I'm very pleased with, here's a few too many photos of her...







Below, Star Girl with her 2014 wave mate, Hawkman- another DC Collectibles New 52 figure that I picked up last year. The detail on this figure is stunning- a must-have for any Hawkman fan. Reccomended!


Below, Star Girl with her Justice League of America teammate, Martian Manhunter. J'onn J'onnz is probably my favorite DC character, and I loved this DC Collectibles New 52 version I got back in 2013. Fantastic action figure!


And finally, Stargirl pictured below with Huntress and Power Girl from the New 52 2-pk I reviewed in my last post. I think she complements them well. Her construction is very similar, but she is a more sturdy sample of DC Collectibles product from this particular moment in 2014, which actually had some beautiful figures that are sought after still today. See more of those at the DC Direct/DC Collectibles Archive!

More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments: