Friday, November 13, 2020

DCUC Jemm & OMAC


Within the first three months of writing this blog back in 2010, I'd already started collecting DC Universe Classics. The very popular 6" Mattel action figure line was easy to find and affordable, featuring many of the characters in the DC books I was reading at the time. The aesthetic uniformity of the line also appealed to me. I can't tell you how many times I saw Jemm and OMAC warming the pegs at K-Mart, but I couldn't resist picking them up on eBay for only six bucks each shipped recently. The seller sent the buttons that were originally included with these figures, both from the 15th wave of DCUC figures.
 

I discovered Jemm, Son of Saturn back in 2011, catching up with the Ostrander/Mandrake run Martian Manhunter Vol.2. Jemm first appeared in 1984 under his own title, a creation of Greg Potter and Gene Colan. John Ostrander used his similarity to J'onn J'onnz to retcon a backstory of the Saturnians being a creation of the Martians, modelled after their own race. This figure, however, is not a simple repaint of the DCUC Martian Manhunter. I wasn't wild about the color scheme on this figure for years, but my nostalgia for the DC Universe Classics line has softened my opinion over time. I think he would have looked better in black, like the button he came with, but his brighter, traditional colors do reflect his first appearance. The long spindly fingers are a unique feature among the DCUC line, and emphasize his alien character. 


Below, Jemm, Son of Saturn with my DC Universe Classics Martian Manhunter...


I've read none of the OMAC comics artist Jack Kirby created back in '74, but did read the retconned version featured in OMAC Project, Infinite Crisis, and Justice League: Generation Lost. A new volume of OMAC was published as part of  DC Comic's New 52 relaunch, but I have yet to read any of that. As an action figure, OMAC can stand alone on the sheer merits of his "toyetic" appeal, and that's what I like about him- his colorful out fit and outrageous mohawk make him singular among the DCUC line and action figures in general.


Below, OMAC with my DCUC Cyborg, another cybernetic DC Comics character...


Below. Jemm and OMAC with my DCUC Adam Strange and Booster Gold...


And finally, Jemm and OMAC with my DCUC Doctor Fate and Hawkman...


I have great memories of getting into action figures ten years ago when I started this blog, and DC Universe Classics were definitely a part of that nostalgia. Collectors had not been treated to a superhero action figure line as vastly encompassing before, as they were introduced to a somewhat new Golden Age of action figures there at the end of the 2000s. Exciting times! I have more DCUC figures in my collection to show you- stay tuned!


More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment