Thursday, June 21, 2012

Hasbro Avengers Thor & Loki


Continuing from my last post on the new Hasbro Avengers Hawkeye & Capt. America, we'll now take a look at Thor & Loki, two that surprised me with their great sculpts and likeness to their movie counterparts. The included figure bases are really working for me with their interlocking edges- very cool!


Just for laughs, let's start with Thor's evil step-brother and God of Lies & Mischief, Loki. There's a lot to like about this action figure, including but not limited to his incredible detail, removable helmet, and stunning likeness to actor Tom Hiddleston, who skillfully portrayed the character in The Avengers.


First off, the layering of Loki's outfit is  masterfully done, the coat and cape both removeable, detailing in the fabric consistently sculpted down to the base layer.

The Celtic pattern sculpted in back of Loki's longcoat is tight, as is the piping in front which has been carefully painted to match his gold arm guards. Just... wow...






















Hasbro topped it off with a removeable helmet that even features a paint app of a different shade of gold on the horns. Loki's sceptre (which should be a staff) is my only sore spot here, painfully out of scale with the figure. It's a shame too, as the sculpt is as good as any accessories I've seen with an action figure, and paint apps using two colors.  This figure is brilliant, but Hasbro missed the boat right here at the end. That said, this action figure is a work of art!



The obvious first comparison would be with my Comic Series Loki from the Hasbro 6" Thor line, a figure I liked in spite of the great deal of criticism he garnered from the Marvel Legends community. He's much larger than the Hiddleston Loki in height and girth, but it seemed like the Marvel movie action figures are smaller across the board, including a lot of the 3 3/4" scale figures.


And now for the first round of BIGTOY/littletoy on this post, Hasbro Avengers Loki with 3 3/4" Secret Strike Loki. Both of these really looked like Hiddleston and are exceptional action figures...


As with Loki, I hadn't planned on getting Thor, but seeing him on the pegs really changed my mind. He's magnificent! The headsculpt looks a lot like actor Chris Hemsworth, and also reminds me of Brad Pitt a little. I thought Hemsworth played Thor's role perfectly in Thor and The Avengers, and I loved the costume update for the God of Thunder's recent debut into live-action movies. The exqisitely detailed sculpt on this action figure is as great as the 3 3/4" movie figures, which totally surprised me with their artful execution. The hair has a perfect wash in yellow oxide, lying inside the painstakingly sculpted strands, and his eyes may be the most realistic I've seen on a Legends figure, rivaling a DC Direct. While Thor's mystical Mjolnir is missing it's inscription, the impossibly tiny Celtic patterns sculpted in the hammer's ends take on a hyperrealistic appearance under the dark gray wash settled into it's detailing. Really great!


The floor-length cape restricts Thor's poseability to a degree, but looks cool. While it isn't removable like my other Hasbro Thor figures, Thor really needs a cape. I mean, he's Thor. While this figure doesn't have hinged wrists or rocker-joint ankles like some of the new Marvel Legends figures, he does have great articulation the line is known for, including double-jointed elbows & knees, and a pretty expressive hinge/ball combo at the neck.























This is basically the same figure as the 6" Thor movie figure released last year, much to the chagrin of many a Marvel Legends fan who bought that helmeted version, and for good reason- the helmet was inexplicably dull grey, unlike the bright chromed helmet seen in the movie for about  two seconds. Glad I didn't buy that. I prefer my Thor with a helmet, but the headsculpt on this figure is killer!


Hasbro Avengers Thor with my Lord of Asgard Thor- as with Loki, the comic series Thor is much larger than the Hemsworth Thor who sports more realistic physique proportions. I like both of these equally for what their unique features.


And now for the second round of BIGTOY/littletoy, Hasbro Avengers Thor with 3 3/4" Hammer Smash Thor. Both of these are a good likeness of Hemsworth and are great action figures, amazingly consistent in there sculpt from one scale to the next...












Now if you don't think that's fun, I can't help you!  :D

 More Later- Make it FUN!

4 comments:

  1. These are not bad at all with me liking Loki the best of these two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loki's scepter does expand and retract in size throughout the movie, so it is accurate in scale. I definitely would have preferred the staff-length version as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photographs as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! The green they used for the 3.75" Loki and the Legends one looks identical, me likely.

    I'm finding the 6" Thor a little skinny, though. Could be the size of his head and hair--would've loved it if they did a head with longer hair like in the movie!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete