Sunday, March 15, 2020

DC Multiverse Croc, Batman Ninja, & Damian Wayne Robin


This is the first year Mattel hasn't produced DC action figures in 18 years, signing with Warner Bros. in 2002 as master licensee for Batman, Superman, and Justice League properties, and going on to produce the celebrated DC Universe Classics line in 2007. While that series ended at retail in 2012, it lived on through online and convention exclusives, and as re-branded waves like these DC Multiverse figures. Croc and Ninja Batman were both "Collect 'n Connect" figures, assembled by purchasing waves of  Multiverse figures. I'm nostalgic about the DCUC line, some of the first 6" action figures I posted about on this blog ten years ago, and I still have a modest collection of them.



Croc was from Mattel's last wave of Multiverse before McFarlane Toys won the license, and would fit in perfectly with the DCUC lineup- he has that construction and style. His sculpt is fantastic and he has an articulated jaw! Below, Croc with my DCUC Joker, Penguin, and Catwoman ....



Like Croc, I bought Batman Ninja complete from an eBay seller recently, more interested in the CnC than the wave he came in- while this can be an expensive endeavor, it was less costly than buying the entire wave in both cases. I enjoyed the DC animated Batman Ninja well enough, but have coveted this action figure for awhile now. Figma and S.H. Figuarts both make deluxe figures of this character, but I enjoy the simplicity of Mattel's style for what it is, and am sometimes overwhelmed by the glut of accessories to keep track of with the deluxe figure lines. I would love, however, to get my hands on one of the forthcoming Star Ace 1:6 scale Batman Ninja!






There's no belt or peg to stow Batman Ninja's sheath, but does have decent articulation and can hold his sword with both hands, a pair of fists also included. I'm pretty happy with this figure- he fits well stylistically within the DC Universe Classics pantheon, and has deluxe paint apps. Below, Batman Ninja with DC Multiverse Rebirth Batman and Zero Year Batman...


Batman Ninja made a natural opponent for Croc in my mind, the association with Croc's reptilian nature and the dragons of Asian mythology, though Croc isn't a featured villain in the animated film. Regardless, they are fantastic figures I'm glad to have acquired...




I picked up this DC Multiverse Damian Wayne Robin on a whim, and at a great price, to go along with Croc and Batman Ninja as sparring partners- he pairs well with Batman Ninja, packed with his own katana. I thought these figures would photograph nicely in my custom urban alley diorama, which I also used form my post on the DC Multiverse Batwing and Duke Thomas Robin.



Below, Damian Wayne with DCUC Wave 16 Robin, and DC Direct Batman Inc. Robin...


If you don't prefer Damian's angry face, roundly dislike by collectors, he comes with a Court of Owls mask to cover it- this is actually a cool option I will display for the time being. Damian's knee pads have an annoying tendency to pop off when handling him, but once he's in place, you're good. His biceps are a little overdeveloped for his teenage buck, but the boots, hooded cape and tunic are unique.




I had a lot of fun with this little Mattel DC haul, and great fun the past few months going back to pick up DC figures I missed in the past, both Mattel and DC Direct, and still have more of these acquisitions to show you. Along with that I still have some treasured DC figures that have been in my collection for many years I'd like to feature this year. Stay tuned: Follow the Super-DuperToyBox Instagram!

More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment