Saturday, December 12, 2015

Marvel Knights X-Men: Haunted


Like Batman:Dreamland from my last post, I enjoyed the expressive art of the Marvel Knights X-Men: Haunted recently, which reminded me somewhat of Darywn Cooke stylistically. Artist/Writer Brahm Revel made his big league Marvel debut in 2014's Haunted, otherwise known for his Guerillas book from Oni Press, I was fascinated by his sketchy,dynamic art, and the interesting tension created between X-Men Kitty Pryde, Wolverine, and Rogue. Revel has a lot of talent, and I look forward to seeing more of his great work!

In a backwoods Virginia town, the X-Men search for the murderer of a young mutant, running into two young mutants reluctant to accept help, an isolationist cult using mutant blood to amp up their drugs, and a crooked sheriff pulling all the strings. Things get pretty surreal as the X-Men physically battle the subjects of their self-loathing and regret, come to life through the powers of one of the young mutants they are trying to save. I remember seeing these released as single issues, but I'm glad I experienced it in this TPB format, which found used at a much better price. I've said before that I'm not qualified to judge or review literature in the conventional sense, and while this will never be an essential book, it was a good read.

More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment