Sunday, July 26, 2020

Mattel WWE Ultimate Edition Ronda Rousey & Jurassic Park Amber Collection Dr. Ian Malcolm


While I don't collect WWE or Jurassic Park, I picked up these figures purely on their merits as action figures. And at a nearly 50% discount, they both had more than enough personality and accessories to convince me to purchase them. I thought they'd make a comical pair that shared a common level of realistic features.


I've watched zero hours of WWE, and knew nothing of Ronda Rousey, though I do vaguely remember her inspiration, WWF star Rowdy Roddy Piper. I liked all the accessories that came with this Ultimate Edition, especially the kilt. Also included are extra gripping hands, leather jacket torso slip-over, leather jacket arms, and three different head sculpts. There is some good articulation on this figure, particularly the elbow range on both the bare arms and leather jacket arms. She even has swivel boot tops and toe joints. She has better articulation and accessories than any of Mattel's female DC figures ever had. I'd go so far as to say that if Mattel put as much effort in their DC figures as they have their wrestling figures, they may not have lost the DC license to McFarlane Toys.



The Jurassic Park Amber Collection has appeared to be a cool, if limited,  line with some great dinosaurs. I've personally only seen a couple of the characters from the Jurassic Park franchise in the line, with one more forthcoming. It would seem they would put at least a couple more in there, but their dinosaurs are likely the big sellers- 1:12 scale action figure collectors who don't even have an attachment to the franchise are buying them to complement what they collect. And Mattel's dinosaurs do look cool, but an action figure of Jeff Goldblum kind of falls into the same category for myself, as such a singular actor. He came with a translucent amber base and extra set of hands to hold his road flare and cup of water, both props from the movie, albeit the latter almost superfluous.



The monochromatic outfit of  Dr. Malcolm is offset by touches of silver and blue in his jewelry and belt and boot buckles. The facial portrait really looks like actor Jeff Goldblum, complete with translucent shades, and is the reason to buy this figure. I've had a Marvel Legends Thor Ragnarok Grandmaster/Korg 2pk for quite awhile that I've neglected to open- I'll need to compare the Mattel and Hasbro Jeff Golblum figures some time.


Below, Dr. Malcolm with my Mattel DC Mutiverse Batman Ninja BAF...


These are just a couple of new characters to mix with my smaller Mattel action figure collection- they are complete unrelated, but struck me as an odd couple- can you imagine a reality show or movie starring Rousey and Golblum? Ha!




Mattel DC Multiverse Croc BAF would make a somewhat appropriate nemesis for Dr. Malcolm to cross paths with, Rowdy Ronda Rousey stepping in to administer the beat down...



More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment