Monday, March 15, 2021

McFarlane Toys Red Son Superman & Flashpoint Batman


 I've been sitting on the McFarlane Toys Flashpoint Batman for over three months, but decided to crack him open with this Red Son Superman I picked up a week ago. Their "Elseworlds" representations of two classic DC characters don't share the same storyline, but they pair well aesthetically.


I've not read Red Son, but am familiar with the 2003 book's premise of this "Elseworld" Superman originating in the Soviet Union, and a few tidbits of what happens within. I mostly purchased him on action figure merits alone, and my love of this Superman's outfit. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind seeing the American Superman in these colors, with the black trunks and muted reds and blues.



While somewhat indifferent regarding the character cards, I love McFarlane Toys' inclusion of bases with their figures, Red Son Superman packed with a modest, but serviceable flight stand. He can strike an effective flight pose, and is a handsome action figure.


Below, Red Son Superman with DC Direct's History of the DC Universe Nightwing Superman, and DC Collectibles' New 52 Superman. I have a handful of other figures from both these series, and while McFarlane does have superior articulation, these earlier action figures did represent each character's source material successfully.


I wasn't sure I'd have a crack at this McFarlane Flashpoint Batman, released the last week of November last year as a Target exclusive. Those kinds of situations will sometimes drive hoarding, but the first Target I walked into had a few- I didn't see many after this, so time on this guy was limited.



I enjoyed author Feoff Johns' Flashpoint several years ago, the story arc that would drive DC Comics' New 52 relaunch in 2011, an occasion that ruffled the reading community, but successfully drove sales. I was reading a few of these titles, and enjoyed the moment for awhile. I was engaged with the idea of a timeline featuring a Thomas Wayne Batman, who instead survived the death of his son Bruce.


There are limitations to some of McFarlane Toys' articulation on this figure, namely the forward hips range in movement, and the lack of upper thigh swivel. While this is unfortunate, articulation is more than adequate throughout the rest of the figure, and the sculpt and deco are fantastic.


Below, Flashpoint Batman with McFarlane Toys' Bloodshot, who also wields twin pistols, and McFarlane Toys' Hellbat. These are a couple of McFarlane figures in my small connection that I really like, and pair well with Flashpoint Batman.


While I haven't had the budget, nor the time to collect many McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse offerings, I did enjoy these two "Elseworlds" characters, and their subdued color palettes- though unrelated, they make a nice pair. I've been pretty happy with what McFarlane Multiverse figures I've picked up, as well as a couple other figures from other properties. I'd love to see a classic Action Comics or Kingdom Come Superman, and look forward to the forthcoming Batman Beyond!



More Later- Make It FUN!

4 comments:

  1. I like that Superman figure. The muted colors work and Batman does pair well with him. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're definitely a nice pair. I pretty much stopped collecting DC stuff with the end of Mattel's run though it's nice to see McFarlane putting out solid figures. Lots of Batmans, though. I think he's outdoing Kenner in terms of the number of Batmans he puts out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely Batman-centric. Remember, Mattel headed that way awhile with the Batman Unlimited line. He's the DC flagship property.

      Delete