Monday, August 9, 2021

MOTU Origins Faker & Evil-Lyn

The MOTU Origins continues here on the Super-DuperToyBox with Faker and Evil-Lyn, from the fifth wave of this series. I actually found this second color variant of Evil-Lyn in the wild, but somewhat regrettably resorted to the secondary market for Faker, a figure I loved as a child. I've yet to see Fisto on the pegs, who is the star of the included mini comic, Sucker Punch.


Naturally, I'd been shooting a  lot of my MOTU Origins around the new Castle Grayskull, but decided to pull the Funko Primal Age Batcave back out to feature Faker and Evil-Lyn. While the nature of this character was somehow lost on me in 1983, I loved the color scheme of this figure and still do. Faker comes with a full power sword as opposed to the original half sword, the handle for this accessory updated for a better grip.



Below, He-Man and Orko capture Faker with the Wind Raider Assault Lander ...!


Ironically, some collectors have bemoaned Faker not including the updated He-Man head sculpt, but instead their preferred original portrait! Ironic considering Mattel did include the original head sculpt with the Battle Armor He-Man, and a refresh of stock on the single carded He-Man purportedly also includes this.


While I already had the first Origins Evil-Lyn, and kinda liked her acidic colors, the new colorway on this updated figure is quite striking. Noted by it's secondary branding near the bottom of the package, this figure's repainted colorway is inspired by the 2002-2004 animated series.



Featured on this updated Evil-Lyn are the resculpted knees, a huge aesthetic improvement over the series' first female knees. I didn't have an Evil-Lyn back in the '80s, so I've now nostalgia for either colorway, but I do prefer this latest version.



Faker and Evil-Lyn are two key henchmen of Skeletor that I'm glad to have in this second MOTU collection of my life- I'm really enjoying this line. Having had some of the first MOTU toys back in 1982, the nostalgia that MOTU Origins evokes is spot on, better I dare say.



While the distribution woes of this line continue to frustrate collectors, their embrace of the MOTU Origins seems dedicated. Mattel has successfully recaptured the magic of the original. Recommended! And finally, Skeletor sends Faker, atop his savage cat Panthor, to destroy He-Man so he can be Master of the Universe!


More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment