Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Dojo Diorama


I've amassed enough ninja-related action figures to warrant my crafting my own "dojo" diorama, so I threw together this 2-piece dio that is vaguely oriental in design, but could be thematically transformed by changing out the banner in the middle that's connected by magnets. The tiny gong was a Five Below purchase that really sells the aesthetic- it's construction matches the minimalism of my design well. I just used a fifty-cent piece of felt for a rug, though I could acquire a proper dollhouse-scale rug to strengthen the illusion. 
.

I purposely chose to hand paint the characters on the banner as opposed to printing out more traditional Chinese calligraphy- it's angular style fit my futuristic/comicbook design. It's a Google-translator approximation of "Super Duper Toybox"...

The base and floor panels are joined by magnets, like the banner. I made a dungeon/fantasy diorama of similar construction just this February. With either, I could easily change out the back wall for an entirely different feel- a project I may focus on next time I'm feeling crafty.

I made this with 1:12 scale figures in mine, but it's big enough to comfortably accommodate my 8" MEGO G.I. Joe Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes ...which look to be a nearly perfect match! You'll be seeing more of this diorama in upcoming posts featuring G.I. Joe Classified figures soon.

More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Colin! The lines in the wood floor look natural. What line is that Snake Eyes from?

    ReplyDelete