Thursday, September 30, 2021

MOTU Origins Clamp Champ & Man-E-Faces


 Like some of the other figures in the MOTU Origins line, I hadn't planned on getting Clamp Champ or Man-E-Faces, but as my enthusiasm and nostalgia grew, I found myself picking them up. These two were purchased at Amazon at an unusually reasonable price, when combined with some accumulated Amazon points totaling a paltry sum of $12.91 each shipped. Amazon likes to fold the card backs of this line, which while annoying mattered little, as I open my toys.


Clamp Champ is packed with a large action feature clamp similar to the 1987 version, though it must be manually pulled back to be triggered. whereas the original performed the complete action with one push of the button. Oversized action accessories are fun for kids, but I'll display mine with just the smaller clamp- I was onto other things when Clamp Champ premiered, so I have no real nostalgia for the larger clamp. I like the alternate head and extra left grip hand, as well as the outfit colors. Like Tri-Klops and many others figures in the line, Clamp Champ is essentially a repainted He-Man with a new head sculpt...



Below, Clamp Champ with my Masters of the WWE Mr. T, a favorite from Mattel's crossover line of figures and playsets that share interchangeable parts with MOTU Origins. I think this was a stroke of genius mixing wrestling figures with the sci-fi/fantasy aspects of Masters of the Universe.


I had the 1983 Man-E-Faces as a child, and while I've heard complaints about his skin tone being more orange than the original, this is incorrect. It's true he had a more natural skin tone in the mini comics, cross sell art, and Filmation animated show, but the figure was more like this Origins version. Mattel has stayed true to most all characteristics of the original figures, as they did with Man-E-Faces.


Below, Man-E-Faces with his Wave 2 mates, Orko, Scare Glow, and Trap Jaw, which was infamously absent from most of North American retail. Luckily, BBTS offered them for preorder, which I pursued the other three, but not Man-E-Faces- odd in that I had him as a child. Later, I corrected this oversight with the aforementioned Amazon find.


Below, Mane-E-Faces flies in on the MOTU Origins Wind Raider, He-Man greeting him at Castle Grayskull. Again, MOTU Origins has my vote for top toy line of the past year, it totally hooked me. The vehicles and playset, character selection, and WWE Universe line compatibility make it home run, and there is word of lots more to come. It will be cool if Mattel can navigate distribution woes.


Clamp Champ included the same mini comic as Battle Armor He-Man and SkeletorBattle Armor Reborn, and Man-E-Faces came with Double Trouble like Orko, Scare Glow and Trap Jaw from Wave 2- double back and check those out. Visit the Battle Ram Blog to see more about the original mini comics and Masters of the Universe toys I loved in the '80s!


I've said it many times now, Masters of the Universe Origins is my favorite line of the last year, and has really taken me back to the '80s with their faithful retro styling and play value. Clamp Champ and Man-E-Faces are both great examples of what make these figures so much fun. Recommended! 


More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment