Monday, November 8, 2021

McFarlane DC Multiverse Demon Knight & Inque Batman Beyond


These were an impulse purchase last week, my action figure budget reserved mostly for Marvel Legends and MOTU Origins in the last year. I have a handful of McFarlane figures, and while I like a great deal of what they put out, the time and money I can devote does have limits. While these are both modern representations of which I'm unfamiliar, I'm a fan of both Batman Beyond and Etrigan the Demon.


I don't think I saw any of the four episodes of Batman Beyond featuring Inque, and question if this repaint of the Batman Beyond figure might be a stretch claim. Regardless, it's just a blue Batman Beyond to me, and a great figure! I had not heard of this Inque variant, and was taken by surprise, unsure what I was looking at.

An extra pair of grip hands, Batarang, and a fight stand were included. A lot of fans were not impressed with the wings on that Batman Beyond, and while I'm fine with these, I do wonder if the more pliable plastic will curl over time. The articulation is serviceable on this figure, and the joints offer the right amount of resistance- he can stand free no problem.




This Inque Batman Beyond reminded me of my Mattel DC Multiverse Batwing. I never read that New 52 Batwing title back in 2011, but did briefly follow a few of the other New 52 books. His first appearance was the fifth issue of  Batman Inc.by Grant Morrison, which I enjoyed thoroughly. I was shocked when Mattel lost their years-long license for DC to McFarlane and SpinMaster, and then DC Direct shuttered, the latter of which produced figures I covet to this day.

Below, Inque Batman Beyond with the other McFarlane Batman figures in my collection: the first, Detective Comics #1000 Batman, Hellbat, Flashpoint Batman, and Murder Machine Batman...


Though very different from the colorful Jack Kirby Etrigan, this update of the Demon wears armor and wields an intimidating sword, both fitting to the character's Camelot origins I thought. I bought it because of the impressive sculpting detail, but out of the package it's joints are not strong enough to overcome his terrible center of balance without the figure base. Additionally, the elbow articulation is severely limited- that combined with loose wrists make it challenging to pose the Demon Knight with his sword. I display most of my figures in a vanilla lineup, but collectors may need a flight stand if you plan to do much more with him.



While there are some unfortunate balance, articulation and joint issues, the tails on this figure are a standout. Mind you, many of these issues were present throughout DC Direct/DC Collectibles' years as well- the balance of form and function, fan expectation, and production in an action figure is daunting, I'm certain. I'm not a fan of the ball-hinge wrists and ankles on McFarlane's figures, visually or functionally, but at least they are largely hidden on the Demon.


I think the Demon pairs well with my McFarlane Witcher Geralt of Rivia  ...!




I picked up this fantastic hardback of Jack Kirby's The Demon some years ago, which is fascinating and bizarre. I'd love to see McFarlane produce a figure based on that! DC Direct produced a figure based on Etrigan's original look pretty recently in their Icons line though, and McFarlane may have prioritized the most current look because of that. Also may have been an editorial request.



McFarlane Toys also includes a collector card with their DC Multiverse figures, these featuring photos of the figures as opposed to art from the comics upon which they were styled, and a small bio on the verso. While I've kept all mine, they hold little interest for me. I'm largely happy with these figures, and am interested in some other McFarlane figures. I only paid $16.66 for the Batman Beyond during a sale at Target, the Demon Knight ringing up for just under $20. at Walmart. Problems aside, not a terrible value. Batman Beyond is superior to the Demon Knight in articulation/functionality by a mile, but the detail on the Demon is undeniable. 

More Later- Make It FUN!

1 comment:

  1. Both of these look really good. I passed on them in the stores but given a second chance I might have picked these up. I'm not famiilar with this Batmon Beyond look but it is good. I really like the look of the Demon. I don't know a ton of his background but always thought he was a cool character. Good review.

    ReplyDelete