Friday, October 14, 2022

Mego Hammer Horror -Dracula, Van Helsing, Frankenstein, The Mummy


 I am a fan of the Universal Monsters above any other modern horror characters, but I also admire the more visceral Hammer Films versions of those characters, a few of which I vaguely remember watch on TV as a child. The back of these Hammer Horror cards are unique, showing the actor's photo in character- actor Christopher Lee played all three of these monsters for Hammer Films, often costarring with costar Peter Cushing. I thought Mego solicited a Peter Cushing/Dr. Frankenstein but haven't seen any recent solicitation.


Christopher Lee/Dracula and Peter Cushing/Van Helsing were the big draw for me and did not disappoint. I wish we had snap buttons on these jackets instead of velcro, but Mego did a fantastic job with the decorative buttons, Dracula's feel like beads, while Van Helsing's are more like tampographed  rubber dots. Both have shirts and ties under their coats. Wonderful! There was an earlier release of Van Helsing, but I wanted this newer running change with the candelabra to ward off the Transylvanian vampire ...!




Frankenstein's double-breasted overcoat is fantastic, and his portrait is creepy! And while I like The Mummy's aesthetic overall, the bandaged seem as though they were dipped in paint to give him his muddy look, rendering him stiffly immovable from the way the paint dried into the fabric. I've slowly worked the limbs to loosen him up, even splitting the fabric at his knees, but is really bound up tight.



Below, Hammer Frankenstein and Mummy with Mego Universal Frankenstein and Mummy...



Visit the online Mego Museum to see all the history on Mego action figures, and what's new since the return of Mego in 2018! Every good boy's dream come true! I pick up Mego figures from several retailers, The Mummy and Van Helsing came from Movie Posters Etc. Recommended! 


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment