Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Marvel Legends Toei/Tokusatsu Spider-Man


I had no childhood nostalgia for this Toei/Tokusatsu version of Spider-Man, never having learned about the Japanese Spider-Man as an adult- ironically, '78-'79 would have been a high point for Spider-Man as a child, playing with my Mego Spider-Man and reading his comics then. The similarities between the Japanese and American Spider-Man pretty much ends at the suit, but the character, Takuya Yamashiro, appeared in the Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Verse story, and will return in the forthcoming Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse this June. I liked the figure for the realism of the figure's physique and the folds and creasing in his mask and outfit, making his seem like a more realistic, classic Spider-Man. Perhaps such a character in our universe would only have one clunky webshooter ...?


I didn't have any Hasbro Power Rangers to compare with this Toei Spider-Man but did have a Goldar from the Lighting Collection to do battle with Takuya- authentically Tokusatsu, if I say so myself ...!






I imagine Herald of Thunder Thor commandeering Godar's power sward from Toei Spider-Man after the villain's defeat ... a weapon not intended for mortal men ...!


I feel the Simu Liu head from my Marvel Legends Shang-Chi is a pretty good fit on the Toei Spider-Man -maybe a little big, but not terrible. I still haven't seen the movie, but I liked that Marvel Legends wave a lot...


I also like the Zombie Hunter Spidey from the Marvel Legends What If ...? Wave...



I've really enjoyed some of the latest Marvel Legends Spider-Man figures- below, Toei Spider-Man with Renew Your Vows Spidey, Amazing Fantasy Spider-Man, and Iron Spider...


More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment