Saturday, June 29, 2024

G.I. Joe Classified "Night Force Edition" Big Ben, Wolf Spider, Tunnel Rat

It's been a minute since I posted on any G.I. Joe Classified, but I recently bought another haul of them, including these Night Force Edition" figures, Tunnel Rat, Big Ben, and Wolf Spider. Before we get too far, full disclosure: I know nothing of the characters in this post. I had some of the first 3.75" G.I. Joes in the early '80s but it didn't go far beyond that. That said, the Classified line is so good that I bought a lot of what came out the first three years, pumping the brakes in 2023 to focus on Masters of the Universe and Mego. I had to come back, though- these three figures are great examples as to why...

Tunnel Rat 
I won't bore you with the packaging for all these, but the others looked like Tunnel Rat's, basically. I've heard Hasbro is going back to a plastic window, but I probably care a little less about that as I typically open my action figures.


The bandolier, purse, and sidearm holster somewhat crowd the figure's torso, but he looks cool. Oddly, the mainline release of this figure has camouflage makeup on his face and arms instead of this Night Force Edition. I'm told the likeness on this figure is of Larry Hama, longtime G.I. Joe comics writer.
 


Tunnel Rat has a ton of great accessories, including a sniper rifle with collapsible bipod...



In the dark, Cobra Officers are no match for Tunnel Rat ...!




Parth "Wolf Spider" Varma


Wolf Spider came with an alternate mask that's okay, but the helmet with night goggles is the look/mode that interested me. Hasbro included a small cord for him to rappel with, which was way too much fun...



Wolf Spider came with a small sidearm and a knife, but I love the shotgun with collapsible stock- I wonder if there will be an alternate colorway of this Night Force Edition... 




David "Big Ben" Bennett


Big Ben lives up to his name in stature- this big figure comes with three respectable firearms, including a sniper rifle with a removable cartridge and collapsible bipod. And the silencer for his sidearm holsters into a loop on the back of his belt. Nice.



Perhaps his most fun accessory was the alternate gas mask head...


I'd been sitting on this Action Force Weapons Pack Bravo in anticipation for all the Joes I bought in 2022 and never opened, so I thought now would be a good time to bust that out. My only real complaint about the Classified line are the rubbery weapon accessories, a lot of which are lacking any paint deco. They aren't all bad, but the Action Force accessories are amazing...


My Marvel Legends "What If" Captain Carter would be a good battle partner for Big Ben!



Below, the Night Force crew with some dollar store bikes I customized. It was fun to bust out some more G.I. Joe Classified, some of the best domestic action figures out there, well worth the $24.99 retail tag. Recommended!

More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. I have some of the Classified Series but not nearly as many as I want. I have also heard that story about Tunnel Rat; I think Hama basically did that kind of stuff in Vietnam. I don't know much about Wolf Spider, but Big Ben was in the DIC cartoon in the late 80s to early 90s. I think by then my brother and I had mostly stopped buying Joe's though.

    ReplyDelete