Monday, March 7, 2022

Mego 14in. Lex Luthor, General Zod, New 52 Superman


 I circled back last month to pick up these 14" Mego figures on the secondary market, Zod and Lex from the 2018 introductory wave of 14" DC figures, and the New 52 Superman from a later wave in 2019. I'd had my eye on this Superman in the past, but the Zod & Lex were at such a discounted price, I kind of picked them up on a whim. They kind of get overwhelmed by Superman's bright colors, but are both nice comic book representations of two of Superman's greatest foes.


General Zod and Lex Luthor are so much like the 12" Mego versions from the '70s, in their costumes and face scuplts. There was a Jor El included among the original 12" figures as well, which we unfortunately didn't see in this 2018 return to large scale DC figures. I hope we will see a Jor El now that Mego recently dropped 14" Star Trek, Universal Monsters, and DC characters, all with upgraded bodies, outfits, and accessories.  



Below, 14" Mego New 52 Superman with several other New 52 Superman figures of varying make and scale in my collection: 12" Medicom Real Action Heroes Superman, 11.5" Mattel Superman, 7" DC Collectibles Superman, 5" Justice League Superman, and 6" Total Heroes Superman...


I actually liked the new 52 Superman costume the first time I saw it and am glad I came back for this extra-large version by the same company that introduced me to action figures in the '70s. The lines in the outfit and boots are right in line with Mego's toyetic styling of whatever character they are producing. And the cape is fantastic- true to artist Jim Lee's redesign, pointed down the middle at it's end. Though a little different in design, this oversized Superman figure's bright colors fill me with nostalgia for the 12" Mego Superman of my childhood!


As illustrated below, the new 14" Mego figures are a little smaller than the older ones in both height and girth. While I love the new 14" Mego Classic Superman, I did like the bulkier look of the earlier waves.


Each of these three figures came with a Kyryptonite crystal, an often-criticized accessory when included with Kryptonian characters vulnerable to the element. I consider it a token with characters that aren't really known for a signature weapon or tool, and I like having one in a different gold color. There are many types of Kryptonite throughout the long history of Superman in the comics, but it was introduced to the character's mythos in 1943 through a radio broadcast of The Adventures of Superman. We are all aware of the more widely recognized green variety, but gold Kryptonite is also canon, appearing in 1962, capable of permanently removing any Kryptonian's powers by destroying their ability to process the Earth's yellow sunlight.


While the new 14" bodies do have some improvements, notably in articulation, I'm fond of the thicker buck on these earlier figures. Mine stood up unaided well enough, but you won't get dramatic poses with them .As Mego forges onward with news about future releases even this week, solicitations for 8" Previews Exclusive Deathstroke and Batman Beyond just announced. There are more 14" and 8" DC characters I'd like to see from Mego, and you will certainly see more posts on Mego figures I've been picking up. In the meantime, be sure to visit the online Mego Museum!

More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment