Saturday, February 19, 2022

Mego 8in. Flash & Green Lantern


 My pursuit of 8" Mego DC Heroes continues with these new Flash and Green Lantern that I happened upon in a regional chain, V-Stock at a fair retail price, $16.99. I picked up a Mego DC Villain while getting these, but we'll get to that in a later post. Mego didn't produce a Flash or Green Lantern among their World's Greatest Superheroes line in the '70s, so these have the additional "fulfilled wish" attraction. 


I was made aware of an upgraded suit available from Absolutely Retro that was more vivid in color, with vinyl material details better matching the figures boots and lantern. The buck on these new 8" Megos seem to be of sturdy construction. In true Mego fashion, the shoulders and hips are banded- mine won't see much action, so your mileage may vary. I wouldn't pull the arms and legs hard, but we were probably rough on our Megos in the '70s- none of mine survived. They must have been a fun toy for kids because we are still here talking about Mego.




The suit upgrade was totally worth it, elevating this John Stewart Green Lantern to the next level with cleaner, more vivid materials. By and large, I've been happy with the outfits on my new Mego figures, but this really made a difference. Very nice...


Below, 8" John Stewart Green Lantern with my Mego 14" Hal Jordan Green Lantern, a figure I personally modified the body on to fix a loose pelvic joint. I detailed the process of that within the video on that blog post, check it out. This larger Green Lantern could have benefitted from a gripping hand to hold his lantern better like the 8", though the newer 14" Megos are coming with extra hands.


Below, Mego John Stewart next to Mattel DC Retro-Action John Stewart. Mattel released four GL Exclusives on MattyCollector in 2012. I had been reading a lot of Green Lantern, and have them all on card to this day...


This isn't the only Flash, Mego or otherwise, that I've seen have red stains on the yellow boots, though it's somewhat pronounced on my sample unfortunately. Regardless, I love the vivid colors on this figure, which hits all the right notes for a classic Flash. Interestingly, Mego released a Teen Titans Kid Flash, but never a classic Barry Allen Flash. In truth, this 8" Mego could arguably be the Wally West Flash of the DCAU with his whited-out eyes and simpler waist and arm bands, though his chest insignia is more classic Siver- Age Flash.


As with Green Lantern, I also have a 14" Mego Flash in my collection. The lightning bands around his waist and cuffs are more traditional, like the Mattel Retro-Action Flash pictured below, both of which are style-guide perfect Silver-Age representations. 


Below, 8" Mego Flash with my 8" Mattel Retro-Action Flash ...




Below, Flash and Green Lantern with my 8" Mego Batman and Justice League Superman...


Mego 8" Flash and Green Lantern with my Spin Master 4" Flash and Green Lantern...


I had intended to restrict my Mego collection to their new 14" DC figures, but I caved when they recently introduced their 8" DC Heroes. When Mattel released their 8" Retro-Action figures in 2010, I had just started this blog, and I really got into other figures around this same scale with cloth outfits, like ToyBiz's 9" Marvel Famous Covers. Fun Times! Revisit the halcyon days of Mego in the '70s and keep up with the resurrected Mego of the 21st Century at the online Mego Museum!


#makeminemego #megocorp #megotoys #megofigures

More Later- Make It FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment