Thursday, March 7, 2024

Imaginext DC Super Friends Series 1 (2024) & More!


 As soon as BubbaShelby posted shots of these Imaginext Super Friends on Instagram, I had to at least snag that Martian Manhunter! And though I had sold off my collection, I compulsively scooped up what amounted to nearly the entire wave. And then I bought some other DC Imaginext...



As a Mego kid from the '70s, this color combo of Batman in his blue & gray with his chest insignia over a yellow oval with black trunks is my jam. Only the "bullet capsule" belt and blacked-out face cowl could have made it better, but he's certainly reminiscent of Bronze-Age Batman.



I found a similarly Bronze-Age Batman in a 2-pk with Riddler a couple years ago...


Oddly, this new Imaginext Batman has a black cape, made only stranger by the fact I bought my Figures Toy Co. Mego Batman an extra black cape just for something different only a month ago. The break of color between cape and cowl is too visually jarring for some, but I say why not?


I completely forgot I have a 4" Spinmaster Man-Bat, but I like this more classic brown with blue trousers and bandolier. He comes with a great katana sword accessory that could be useful to any number of other figures, too.




Bane looked a little plain to me, but the excitement ratchets up when the glow-in-the-dark feature kicks in. I guess the grapple gun is an okay accessory, again it's an accessory that can be used with other figures.



Classic Martian Manhunter is how we ended up here together, Friends- a character I took to later on more as an adult when starting this blog many years ago. J'onn J'onzz is the other alien powerhouse on par with the more popular Superman, and last of his kind from a lost world like the Man of Steel.



Classic Imaginext Martian Manhunter w/my BootLego Martian Manhunter:


Superboy Prime was an unlikeable brat and murderous psycopath in DC Infinte Crisis, but I did like his Ant-Monitor armor! I had a couple other Imaginext Superman figures I loved- I'll be on the lookout for another!



This is a more modern interpretation of Aquaman with the single shoulder pauldron, but he still hits a lot of the classic notes. I also had another Imaginext Aquaman I sold in a lot on eBay, but this is a fantastic, updated replacement! 



I love the classic Ted Kord Blue Beetle, but I also love the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle in his alien tech, and have a few other figures of this character. I'm particularly fond of the Batman Brave & The Bold Jaime Reyes figures ...



Imaginext Blue Beetle w/my BootLego Blue Beetle:


After opening some Imaginext blind bags, I found a couple Imaginext Batman 2pks:


Both these figures are designed to accommodate Imaginext's more recent light-up feature trend, central to the design of their more recent figure and playset interaction. The unfortunate consequence of this is the ugly slot in the cape in back. I need one of the light-up accessories to make this work better, but I still like the black and blue Batman.


This Imaginext Batman reminded me of my XL Imaginext Bat Tech Batman:


I had the this very Scarecrow before, but w/o the translucent torso- great sculpt!





These are more modern interpretations of Batman and Huntress w/updated sculpts and paint apps- like the Batman/Scarecrow 2pk above, only one figure had an accessory, but I do like the crossbow.







More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. I have a few of the Imaginext Batman figures. I got a set a year or two ago with an armored Batman, Bane, Batgirl (blue-and-gray), Robin, and I think a couple of other villains. And I have a Batgirl (Burnside) with a motorcycle. The figures fit on the giant T-Rex thing I got like 10 years ago.

    I like the Martian Manhunter; they should make him glow in the dark too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul! You need to go back and get Bizarro, he is definitely one of the best in this wave. Also, I hadn't realized Batman had the Mego look but that is probably exactly the inspiration they were going for! Neat!

    ReplyDelete