Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Total Heroes Sinestro & Green Lantern


I'll admit that I wasn't blown away by these new Total Heroes action figures by Mattel, but I liked the Superman I reviewed recently well enough, and I rarely pass on a Sinestro action figure, especially in his black & yellow Corps uniform. I've seen there will be a Total Heroes Batman Beyond as well, a character I feel the same about collecting. And I couldn't pass on a Green Lantern to go with him while I was there on the premises with both in hand, so here we are   :D























As I said before, these are not DCUC-grade action figure, but have their own appeal. Styled less realistically than Mattel's late DC Universe Classics line, in more of a chunky, "animated" version with less articulation, Mattel was able to hit a price point more attractive to big box retail. Similar to the recent Batman Power Attack figures, the Total Heroes have a few additional points of articulation at only a dollar more. The waist still swivels, and there are additional swivels in the elbows and wrists, as well as hinge-swivel shoulders and hips for lateral range and hinged knees and ankles. Pretty simple, but serviceable.























The Lanterns didn't come with a power battery, but constructs instead, both in the form of hand weapons cast in translucent plastic matching the colors of their respective spectrum. The figures grip the accessories securely- they're appropriately exaggerated and goofy...




Total Heroes Sinestro & Green Lantern with DC Universe Classics Wave 3 Sinestro and 2010 Wal-Mart Exclusive GL 5-pack "90's Hal" Green Lantern...




Total Heroes Sinestro & Green Lantern with 4" Justice League Unlimited Sinestro and Green Lantern, another highly stylized line of action figures from Mattel...



Total Heroes Sinestro & Green Lantern with 2" DC Action League Sinestro and Green Lantern...



And finally, Total Heroes Sinestro & Green Lantern with 8" Retro Action Sinestro & Green Lantern, another Mattel Action figure line that was modeled after my favorite childhood Mego dolls...


Mattel stuck to the same buck on all these Total Heroes action figures, and while it would be nice to see a different body, particularly a female, I'm doubtful it will be produced. The previous 5" Justice League got a Wonder Woman packed with 6 others in a Target exclusive, there wasn't a single carded release. Where's the love, Mattel? And one final gripe is that Green Lantern was shown with metallic green paint in promotional images, which didn't materialize onto the final product. That withstanding, the applications are pretty clean on these, and at ten bucks I didn't feel bad picking some up- they're fun! 


More Later-Make It FUN!

7 comments:

  1. Batman Beyond will be a MattyCollector exclusive - I believe there will be one per quarter (first up: Jon Stewart).

    The coolest part about the BB release is that it is supposed to come with an unmasked older Bruce head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are cool looking, but I can't jump on another line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do look cool but I too made my self a promise to diversify this year. I do love me any Sinestro though. I will try to track down a Batman Beyond. I have one but he's lose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Matty exclusives are supposed more in the way of extras like the Firestorm is supposed to have a clear floating head of the Professor which sounds just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little annoyed. I liked these figures when they were announced. Like you, I'm big on "toys" rather then "collectibles." But I thought the big selling point was the low price point. They were 9.99, and 4 figures in now they're 12.99. That's a 3 dollar increase right off the bat..

    ReplyDelete
  6. wah all you collection of both. Impressive

    ReplyDelete