Saturday, December 30, 2023

MOTU Origins Teela & Zoar, Flying Fists He-Man


 I found the MOTU Origins Flying Fists He-Man for $10.00 at a local Big Lots recently, and the Teela/Zoar 2pk for under $30.00 shipped from an eBay seller around the same time. I didn't have the Flying Fists He-Man back in '86, being a young teen, my interest in girls was increasing while my interest in toys dissipated. The head/neck transition is less jarring on the new Origins figure, but by and large, Mattel remained faithful to their original design. I'm less interested in this action feature than I was the great price and additional He-Man with vac-metal armor and full power sword.


Flying Fists Demo:


I like the additional head with wind-swept hair, which we've seen before. Of note, you can only interchange the head, hands, & boots on this Origins figure due to the internal workings of the action feature housed in the torso and how it connects to the limbs and pelvis. 


Flying Fists He-Man has the same action feature that my Origins Terror Claws Skeletor, which interested me more than the former, due largely to his impressive Terror Claw accessories. While the claws are more fun and less clunky than He-Man's mace and shield, the latter has some vac-metal treatment, and I like the figure overall. They have that unsightly Battle Grip, but I display my figures mostly face-forward. Interestingly, they don't have the dial that drove the action feature of the original figures, but that wheel was put in the sculpt, just above the waist on the back of the Origins figures. Flying Fists He-Man came with the same mini comic as Terror Claws Skeletor, "Under Seige". I had neither of these in the '80s, but they are fun.


It's also noteworthy how similar in design the Battle Armor and Flying Fists He-Man are. The Battle Ram Blog entry on Flying Fists He-Man revealed an early concept drawing that predates both figures and appears to be of direct influence on their aesthetic. Below, Flying Fists He-Man with my Origins Battlefield Warriors Battle Armor He-Man...


I had Zoar as a child, and the plastic on this Origins feels slightly cheaper than the 1983 version. I don't have my original Zoar for comparison, but this one seems nearly identical in appearance! And I already have more than one Teela, but this one has her own thing going on.


The first Origns Teela had darker tones overall, which reminded me more of my Teela from '82...


I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite among all my Teelas, but this update did come with a sword, updated knee sculpt, and the ponytail. Below, the Zoar 2pk Teela with Snake Teela, Eternian Goddess, and the first Origins Teela...


Snake Teela has the same sword as Zoar 2pk Teela and her ponytail headsculpt, but horned shoulder pads and different boots...


Zoar goes well with my Sorceress figure and Talon Fighter, all pictured below atop my Origins Castle Grayskull which I love as much today as when I got it in 2021! The MOTU Origins line has consistently been my favorite since it hit shelves in September of 2020- I haven't bought everything, but I did buy most of it, and the line is still going. It has been like traveling back to 1982, but even better with updated articulation. So much fun!


Zoar's action feature:


I was initially more interested in the Skeletor/Screeech 2pk due largely to the variant Skeletor, but I'm glad I got both sets. Teela may have had more updates than Skeletor, but I loved his repaint!


Below, Zoar 2pk Teela with Flying Fists He-Man with my Origins Battlecat...


I have a tone more MOTU stuff to show you here on the Super-DuperToyBox, both Masterverse and Origins, so stay tuned for plenty more of all that! Until then, Happy New Year! Play with Toys and Have Fun with Your Life!

More Later- Make It FUN!

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen any good toys at the Big Lots around me but then I haven't looked in a while. I'm not a huge He-Man fan but I like the ones that look more like the old figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not like I have the room for it, but If I see any of these figs on the pegs I'm buying. Vac metal greatness!

    ReplyDelete